Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Finances


IVF isn’t cheap AT ALL! I’m going to just throw that out there for people who aren’t familiar with it. 1 ivf cycle can cost $15,000 if not more depending where you go. And that doesn’t include the medication either. The meds alone cost $3,000 - $6,000 depending on the protocol the dr. uses and which pharmacy you order from. Most are usually the same price give or take a few dollars. Luckily my health insurance covered Infertility treatments up to $15,000 with a $5,000 prescription policy as well. I am so fortunate to have this coverage. Only having to pay 20% plus $45 co-pays helped us be able to even TRY to conceive with help from a reproductive endocrinologist. But we also didn’t think we would still be on this path of trying to conceive our first child after 2.5 years. After our numerous cycles we have almost hit the LIFETIME MAX on my infertility coverage. Getting this news was devastating. Getting a loan for $15,000 was completely out of the picture. There was no way possible I was going to make us go that much more in debt. 15k is a new car, a down payment on a house for most people. Heck we could use 15k to pay off doctor bills, credit cards, cars, etc. When we switched clinics we knew that we had approximately $2500 left to use on my lifetime max.  

I had a phone consult with the financial manager at SIRM to discuss different “plans” they offered, and how much everything would cost. I was most worried that she would tell me they would still charge the cash price and just subtract what insurance would pay. Since that’s what the last clinic was going to do. That sounded a little strange to Sawyer and I both. And of course I was having a mental breakdown.  

Karen from SIRM told me that she would figure up what I would need to pay after my insurance was used, and she would use the contracted rates they had with my health care provider. She informed me it would be a few hours before she could tell me, but assured me she would have all the details in an email ASAP. When my phone went off with the alert of a new email my stomach did flips, I was extremely nervous to open this email. But once I did it was so much more exciting than I thought!!! Let’s just say we are another step closer to hopefully starting our next cycle. NK cell test, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be positive. We are praying so hard!


No comments:

Post a Comment